January 23, 2008

Being Sick...

{Cig Harvey photo}

I truly believe that our bodies send us signals when we have not taken care of ourselves. At first, it's a sniffle, then it's a mild headache, extreme exhaustion and then {boom} bronchitis. The last time I was sick with bronchitis, I was living in New York (alone) just out of college, and in a wild, insane, exciting, roller coaster ride of a totally unhealthy relationship. I was stressed, anxious and totally freaked out 90% of the time. My body and soul were completely depleted, and the result was a 2 week run with bronchitis. And even as I recuperated, I waited by the phone for him to call me from his trip to Aruba....he never did. I ache thinking of what I put myself through.

This time around, I've had a lot of time to think while I lay in bed and watch endless re-runs of Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier....about what I ignored to get myself here again. Too often, I am putting others needs/wants before mine. In the months of November & December we had 4 different sets of house guests....the final group just leaving last Monday. Is it a coincidence that I came down with this Tuesday night? I have a hard time asking for help, therefore I continue to try and make everyone else happy...while I am secretly suffering. I've realized that I have to make changes in this new year to ensure my own health and happiness.

I will take care of myself first and get to everyone else after I've been nurtured...I want my children to see this example for their own lives. I will ask for help...and graciously accept it. I will quiet my mind everyday to ask myself "what makes me happy" and live it...

{Please listen to my new favorite song by Yael Naim down below, called New Soul. It's the 2nd from the bottom...I love it soooo much.}